The Chronicle of Philanthropy hosted an online discussion about becoming a consultant to nonprofits. The panelists were Deborah Elizabeth Finn, Jonathan Howard, and Karla A. Williams. They addressed a wide range of questions, including:
- How do you know when to move from being on staff to being a consultant?
- How does one go about deciding how to charge for consulting services and/or bill clients?
- What have you found to be the best way(s) to find clients?
- What should I consider in bringing in administrative help for my consulting practice?
- What area of fundraising holds the greatest opportunity for consultants?
- What should I watch for in working from home?
It’s too late to ask the panel further questions, but you can read the transcript at http://philanthropy.com/live/2008/08/consultant/index.shtml