The continuing story of my new Thinkpad T400S laptop. I finally feel like it’s starting to come together, particularly the upgrade to Windows 7. Here’s the story so far. Maybe my experience will help someone else.
After transferring my data and software using Laplink (and after figuring out that I had to decrypt my files first) I found that everything was owned by some mystery account. I couldn’t access my files or apps from my account or the Administrator account. I fixed that with an application called TakeOwnership.
Once I got my stuff moved over I started playing with the laptop and found that it had no sound. The Lenovo system diagnostics and Device Manager said everything was functioning normally, but I had no sound through the speakers — only through the headphone jack. I tried all of the troubleshooting tips I could find, and finally took it in for service (fortunately, there’s a service depot near my house). Replacing the speakers didn’t have any effect, so they replaced the motherboard. That did it. Their theory is that the headphone jack turns off the speakers when in use, and that the jack was "stuck" in this position.
I use an off site backup service from Backup Solutions. I found that their software wouldn’t install under Windows 7. The company got me a new version that works with Win 7, but I found that the failed installation (or maybe Laplink) left traces of the software behind such that the new software said I needed to uninstall the old version, but the old version wouldn’t uninstall. I had to use Revo Installer to fix that.
I got the docking station set up for the new PC and found that it only has USB ports, so my old PS/2 keyboard won’t work. Tried using a $3 PS/2 to USB adapter, but no luck. I either needed a $17 converter or a new keyboard. I went for the converter, since I like my current keyboard. All my other peripherals work.
I found that the T400S doesn’t have a modem jack (maybe it was an option that I neglected to choose?). Sometimes it’s handy to be able to fax from the computer rather than printing something out and running it through the fax. However, I don’t want to have to pay a monthly fee for something like eFax for those rare instances when I need to fax from the computer. Maybe there are other alternatives.
I wasn’t able to get ZoneAlarm to install. I finally gave up and switched to PC Tools’ firewall. The tests I’ve run say it’s not as secure, but it’s something. I’ll try installing ZoneAlarm again when I have time.
I had a devil of a time getting Avast! to run but upgrading from version 4 to 5 fixed that.
I’m still tinkering with Outlook 2003. Tried running it as an Administrator, and in Compatibility Mode for XP and Vista, but it keeps crashing. PC Doctor (the crash diagnostic program) just said the problem might be the "Send to Bluetooth" plug-in, so I disabled that. We’ll see.
I figured out how to restore the handy Quick Launch tolbar by following these instructions.
Some of the hardest problems have been getting Adobe products to install. I couldn’t get TweetDeck or Adobe Air to run (TweetDeck requires Air). I solved that by following the instructions for solving Error # 0 problems at http://support.tweetdeck.com/forums/63876/entries/91753 Now I have a second program ( Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility) to forcibly uninstall uncooperative software.
I also couldn’t get Adobe Flash to install. I tried the instructions to install and run Microsoft’s SubInACL program, but that didn’t fix it. Finally submitted a trouble ticket to Adobe and got a quick response. They had me do the following:
In Internet Explorer 8 click on Tools then Internet options then the Advanced tab then choose "Reset Internet Explorer settings".
Download and run install_flash_player_10_active_x.exe from Adobe
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
Right-click FlashUtil10d.exe, click the Compatibility tab and select "Run as Administrator." Click OK and run the program.
That did it. Resetting IE seems to be the key — I had done all the other steps previously.